1. Set the oven to 180 degrees
2. Cut the squash into 1 inch chunks or thereabouts, drizzle in rapeseed oil and place the rosemary on top of the squash.
3. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes or until just starting to char. Roasting the vegetables rather than cooking them on the hob will given the soup more flavour.
4. Remove from the oven once cooked and take off the skins whilst still warm, being careful not to burn yourself! Discard the rosemary skewers.
5. Sweat off the onion in the butter for 2 minutes or so, add the bay leaves, then the milk. Bring to a gentle simmer for 4 minutes, then leave to infuse for at least 10 minutes.
6. Remove the bay leaves from the milk mixture, then place this, together with the squash, in a Magimix Le Blender or equivalent. Add the stock and as much water as you see fit, then blend together until you have a silky, smooth consistency.
7. Season to taste, then serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.
Squash, Bay & Rosemary Soup
1kg of any variety of squash
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
100ml full fat milk
250ml chicken (or vegetable) stock
2 sprigs of rosemary
Crème fraîche, to serve
The amount of water you need to loosen the soup will depend on the variety of squash you are using