1. Cut the bacon into lardon sized strips. Put a large frying pan on a very low heat and gently cook the bacon, leaving it still in the pan, so that the fat releases.
2. Whilst the bacon is cooking, prepare your vegetables. Top and tail the spring onions, then cut on an angle. Trim the base of the lettuce off then cut into quarters.
3. When the bacon has released all its fat and become nice and crisp (approx. 10 mins), turn the heat up and throw in the lettuce. Stir fry on a high heat, then add the peas. Stir well, ensuring the vegetables are well coated in the bacon fat.
4. Pour in the stock and bring to a vigorous boil, to reduce the stock by half.
5. Take the pan off the heat, stir in the cream, then add the spring onions and a good grind of pepper. Slowly bring back to the boil and cook until the liquid is thick and unctuous.
6. Check the seasoning, add a knob of butter and serve.